Skip to main content
Cincinnati Immigration lawyer Christopher Pogue, Esq. - Ohio Attorney, Visas, Green Card, Citizenship, Marriage, Fiance(e) Law Office of Christopher M. Pogue, 810 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, usa immigration, ohio immigration, cincinnati immigration, immigration legal, best immigration lawyer, top immigration lawyer, the most reviewed and highest rated immigration attorney in the Tri-state - cases include - Marriage, K-1, Adjustment of Status, Consular Processing, Naturalization, Athletes, Entertainers, Investors, Employers, and Employees.Why hire an immigration attorney? Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Attorney Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Lawyer, K visa (Fiance(e), Marriage, Green Card, CitizenshipChristopher Pogue, Ohio lawyer, Cincinnati immigration attorney, visa, citizenship, Green Card, Marriage, Fiance(e)Family visas, Fiance visas, k-1, marriage visas, parent visas, I-130, I-485, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer US Business visas, H1-B, PERM, Green Card, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-5, national interest waiverUseful immigration linksCincinnati Immigration Lawyer BlogContact us, Cincinnati Immigration Lawyer, Ohio Immigration Attorney
Friday, April 28 2023

Applying for Asylum in the United States

Applications for Asylum in the United States have been the cause of much controversy over the past few years. Here, at Pogue Law Firm, LLC, we are here to help with all of your asylum- related questions. Please fee free to contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your immigration needs. In the meantime, please refer to the below questions for some basic information regarding applying for Asylum in the U.S.:

When should I apply for asylum in the United States?

Generally speaking, your asylum application should be submitted to USCIS no later than one year after your last arrival into the U.S. However, under certain and very specific circumstances, one may apply for an exception to submit their asylum application outside of this one-year deadline.

Who can apply for asylum in the United States?

In order to apply for asylum, one must show that they have been persecuted and/or have a well-founded fear of future persecution, for at least of the following reasons, if they were to return to their home country:

  1. Persecution based upon race
  2. Persecution based upon religion
  3. Persecution based upon nationality
  4. Persecution based upon political opinion
  5. Persecution based upon membership in a particular social group
  6. Persecution in violation of the Convention Against Torture

Can I work while my asylum case is pending?

Asylum seekers are permitted to submit Applications for Employment 150 days after their asylum applications have been accepted by USCIS. Your Receipt Notice will state the date upon which USCIS received your application.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) processing times for asylum seekers vary with some applicants receiving responses within a few weeks, while others wait months for a response from USCIS. USCIS is now accepting online EAD applications for asylum seekers. Can I travel while my asylum case is pending?

Travel within the United States is permitted while your asylum case is pending. Travel outside of the United States should occur only after one has both (1) discussed the potential consequences of traveling abroad with a pending asylum application, which include being deemed inadmissible at the border and being refused re-entry, with an attorney and (2) applied for and obtained Advanced Parole.

Posted by: Jeanelle Mehta, Esq AT 12:49 pm   |  Permalink   |  Email
The Pogue Law Firm LLC
Of Counsel with the Fleischer Law Firm LLC
810 Sycamore Street, 2nd Floor - Cincinnati, Ohio 45202            

This website and the information on it is not legal advice. Do not rely upon any information found on this website or through the links on this website.  You must contact our law firm AND enter into a written legal retainer agreement in order to obtain legal advice from our law firm for your situation. Contact us today so that we can provide you legal advice for your case.